Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Let's be frank...

I am officially in a new phase of twenty-something-ness. I am now unemployed and living with my parents. Don't be jealous.

It is 4pm and I am laying in bed with my laptop and 2 out of the 4 dogs that now live in this house (I have one of my own, my mom has 3), and I am looking at the Occupational Outlook Handbook, hoping to find the magic cure to my life of unproductiveness (it's my blog, I can make up words if I so please.) I have no idea what my next step is, to be honest, but I want it to be a good one. I've made so many rash decisions in my day. I transferred schools twice (the second time was a return to the original school), I moved from on campus to off campus and back, I then moved in with my boyfriend of the time, then moved to NYC on my own, had multiple crappy jobs, and now I'm pretty much back at square one- Long Island with the parentals. Oh, and to top it all off, I am single once again. The only thing I have going for me right now is that I will be dancing my big tush off (somewhat, let's hope) in a local production of one of my favorite musicals. Let's hope I at least burn a whole lot of calories and maybe make some local friends in the process.

I did learn from this whole experience that I - A) hate living alone, especially in a shoebox, and B) hate people. Okay, that's an exaggeration. But in all seriousness, working at a restaurant taught me that I..well.. don't want to work in a restaurant. I have so many stories from just 6 months there, and all I did was answer the phones. Just the other day, I was standing at the front desk as usual, drinking a Diet Snapple. A little older gentleman comes from behind and says "Ya know, there are a lot of calories in that!" Ummmmmm. So I, knowing that I wasn't working there much longer, and frankly not caring either way, said "Um A- it's diet, and B- it's none of your business." People. The nerve. And everything was always my fault according to customers that called. If we were booked, if you had to pay for parking, if we didn't have alfredo on the menu. No matter what, it was all me. And just a little bit of info for all you non-New Yorkers- Broadway is an avenue. If you're going to see a show, and you make reservations at a restaurant "on Broadway," it does NOT mean that it is next to The Lion King. Just saying. It'll save you a lot of time and aggravation as you end up waiting 2+ hours for a table in the theatre district.

Honestly.. does anyone read this? I read something in a magazine about some lady who made $30,000 a year from blogging. That's $30,000 more than I make, so read on people...

No comments:

Post a Comment